Monday, April 7, 2008

Keeping the inmates at bay...

I've always been a big fan of having my kids do daily chores. You know what they say, idle hands and all and I think there's nothing wrong with teaching your kids to pick up after themselves and to earn things, not just get things. I haven't been the best at keeping them interested in doing chores or finding a method that allows them to learn life skills without the side effects- whining, arguing, fighting- all those things that make the hairs on the back of my neck just curl and that vein in my forehead explode until I give and do the dang chores myself.
This idea uses "tokens", I chose buttons like my blog because I have a bazillion, that they earn for doing their chores. They can then use those tokens to cash in on some extra privileges. I've seen Super Nanny use this sort of method with fake flowers and pots but the button thing really spoke to me. I still love you Super Nanny, I really do.

Here's my spin on it. I kept the kids daily chores the same but added a button value to it like brushing your teeth and hair (or hairy teeth as the case might be) is worth 2 buttons. If they do their chore without being reminded to do it they get an extra white button, I changed the color mostly so I could keep track of how many chores they really do (the colored buttons) compared to extra things (the white buttons). It's the annalist in me and I'm anal that way... it doesn't really matter. Once they have enough buttons they can redeem them for an extra privilege like chocolate milk or an extra treat which costs them x number of buttons. I also incorporated the house rules into the mix. I think they go hand in hand, chores and rules that is. For each rule they break after they have been warned they get a time out and a button or so taken away depending on the offense. Everyone but Kaci has a list of chores. Mary has been doing chores since she turned 3 and you would be surprised how much a 3 year old can do (and will do).

I printed out the rules, the chores, and the redemptions and the different values of each and put them in frames on the wall so the kids could see what I expected of them and what they would get in return clearly laid out in front of them each day. The frames would be much cuter if I could find the gosh darned black paint that Kaci keeps hiding from me, oh and cute little buckets or tins for the buttons would have been cute to, but I digress... That's a big deal for my eldest. If he doesn't get told something over and over again or if it isn't in plain view every 5 minutes it doesn't exist. Also big for Cody and I so we're always on the same page and every things the same whether it comes from mom or dad.

So far it's been working like a charm. Better than that- it's heaven sent. I actually heard Ashlyn and Jeremy say "I want to clean my room" and "What else can I do". My house is cleaner and with the little things out of the way I was able to tackle some big things I haven't had time to get to.

Cookies as an earning prize doesn't hurt either...


Seriously though, go and be merry and make yourself sane with buttons and chores and cute lists and happy helpful children... I'll never be the same!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that it's working great for you!
    Now that you have your charts done would you mind taking off your last name & inserting ours? You know my kids names, so print that out as well. Then when you get them all printed out would you mount them on some cute SB paper? Oh and don't forget to paint...And and and...
    I know, I know, I just need to do this myself. Why is it you always get these projects done before me? Your the pregnant one! Okay must go clean up dinner I gotta go earn my buttons. :)

    :)Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. with all the crafty things I see on blogs, I need to get started because it will take until eternity to finish them all. haha. Anyway, cute cute cute idea. I also love supernanny. Bridger is 3 years 5 months and he vacu the stairs every saturday. People that think little kids are too little are missing out on not only help, teaching but the fun in watching how fast they can run to do something else just to make you happy. They are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ♥ That's a cute idea! I wonder if it would work for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are way organized. I am impressed. I like how artistic everything is. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I am in the process of making this too. Similar. Anyway can you email the text in the frames? It's a little hard to to see and I would love to read your system and tweak it to work for me. It will save tons of time.
    Great job!

    My email address is:
    Lauraal@aol.com. If you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that idea! I might have to try that for my little ones

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT! And what a GREAT excuse for me to go get some more cute buttons! If you got the chance to email the lists as requested above would you mind forwarding me the list? Love Super Nanny as well. . have the book! You totally ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Bridget! I found you off of Rachel's Blog and I LOVE this idea.. I'm working on mine right now. My kids loved helping me make our "House Rules" last night. Now I need to figure out the chore values and redemption values and we're all set! Have you had any problems with kids snatching buttons? Where do you keep your buttons? I have a sneaky 5 year old that I just know will try to steal buttons from me! CUTE blog too! Your kids are growing up so fast. It just seems like yesterday that I saw you pregnant in wal-mart for Halloween in your cow costume! (HA HA! Just had to throw that out there! It was pretty cute though!)

    Brandy Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neato, sounds like a great plan!! :)

    And the cookies...that could never be a bad 'plan', right?!?!!

    Waiting the hear about the ultrasound....

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea!! I was just looking through my latest Family Fun magazine and they had ideas for making chores more fun. I will definitely try this out. I love the "Baxter Buttons" and your cookies look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have something similar, but I LOVE your button idea. We have simple checkmarks and X's...I used to use stickers, but I ran out and then when I bought more the littlest one got ahold of the sticker sheet and I found them everywhere. Then it turned into just writting it out... now I don't even have to do that, I just tell them it's time to do the job chart and away they go. They grumble, but it gets done. I like the house rules list though, that needs to be posted here.

    **So excited that you have another little girl on the way. I have been wrong everytime so I completely understand your...Huh? By the fourth one I stopped announcing my guess and gave up on being correct and just figured it was another girl...it was. My boy outfit still hangs in the closet, maybe someday. But I wouldn't change it for the world. **


    My least fav about it all is the comments from others about maybe being disappointed about another girl...is my Hubby mad? Are we going to keep trying for a boy? It's endless and thoughtless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOOKS like a fabulous system, and I love your wallpaper/header. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete