It’s hard being the smack dab in the middle child. Mary’s our very middle one and she’s always the one being left out. The older two always play with the younger two and she’s left to her own devices, buddy-less, because for one reason or another she can’t or won’t play and when mom steps in and insists that she be included suddenly no one wants to play anymore. Rough! I thought it would be a great idea to give her her own space for her birthday. A special place just for her. A Mary kind of place. A princess cabana fairy tent playhouse veterinarian office spy hideout.
Roomy enough for 2 with a dog door off the back for those furry friends that need to come and go. Matching dog bed with new bull dog stuffed friend included, but not pictured ;).
No princess cabana vet spy tent would be complete without windows on the sides.
And big “I heart U” buttons on the inside to remind you your mom loves you more than much.
I hung a string of battery operated LED lights around the inside to give it that extra “My mom rocks” factor. Love is in every square inch of that little cabana. 2 a.m sewing for weeks kind of love that only a mom would do for her child. She picked out all the fabrics without knowing what she was getting so I could be sure it would be something she loved.
Only one problem. She doesn’t like it. It’s now Mary’s super deluxe storage unit that saw maybe 10 minutes of play time over the last 2 weeks. It’s tall enough for me to stand in so maybe it’ll become my “don’t bother me I’m eating a bag of chocolate chips and wondering what kind of children I’m raising” alone cone.
I didn’t take pictures of the process but if anyone else would like the how-to to make your own super deluxe storage unit I can sketch a rough guide.
Have a fantastic Friday!
oh man, poor you... and poor Mary!
ReplyDeleteIt it lovely, you did a great job on it Bridget!
Rough stuff. I was the oldest, and did that to my own sister. I will apologize to Mary instead of my sister because it's easier. I hate it when you buy or make toys that are awesome, only to have the kid want to play with a pair of slippers. I think that a chocolate hideaway is an admirable use for you "alone cone":)
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing! Maybe she will change her mind and want to live in the tent. My 6 year old daughter loves it.
ReplyDeleteI want an alone cone. It is sooo pretty. Maybe she'll like it in a few weeks. My kids don't like something so I put it away for a few weeks. When I bring it back out they love it. Go figure!
ReplyDeleteAwwwwwww...
ReplyDeleteIt's genius! I was so sad to read that she doesn't like it! Well, she'll remember your actions more than whether she played in it or not.
ReplyDeleteYou are so talented!!!! My daughter is sitting here drooling wondering why she doesn't have a mom like you who can whip that out! Good job for making such a cute tent....and great job for being such an awesome mom! Definetely taking notes :)
ReplyDeleteI would love to know how you did that!! You are a sewing queen. sad to know Mary didn't like it. She sounds pretty self sufficient though :) My son (the middle child) is like that.
ReplyDeleteHaha! That second to last little paragraph made me snort out some unexpected giggles that almost woke up my husband who's napping nearby.
ReplyDeleteBummer that she doesn't like it as much as she ought to. It is super cool! Especially with the little windows and everything!
Sigh...
Although I do like to think about you standing up in there eating chocolate with fabric around your head.
Love Love LOVE the tent! And your blog!! I just stumbled across you the other day when I was looking for help with making fabric rose bib necklaces (which have finally become trendy here in the midwest).
ReplyDeletePlease keep posting-- I'm having fun pretending you're my new cool crafty best friend!
--Jen
PS - If you ever do get some free time (HAHA) please do sketch up a tut on how you made the tent. Very Very cool.
Who wouldn't love this - you did a fantastic job!
ReplyDeleteIt's always the stuff that we are so excited about, the stuff that we spend extra time making or finding that they end up not caring about nearly as much as we thought they would. Parenting is as frequently a kick in the teeth as it is hugs and squeals of excitement and thrills. Way to keep perservering. By the way, I love it.
ReplyDeleteMelanie
Awww that's beautiful. I'm a middle child and we are very hard to please... one of 5, same as Mary (and now have 5 myself).
ReplyDeleteMaybe put it in her room. It'll grow on her... at the very least there'll be a visual memory of it for her to remember when she grows older that she really wasn't left out.... AND was the only one with a special place in her room.
sad sad sad! can i borrow it?
ReplyDeleteIt is totally awesome! I love it! But you know, it just wouldn't be real life if she played w/ it for more than 10 minutes. All you have to do is invite some of her friends or someone you know w/ a little girl her age, they'll love it and want it and then she'll be all over it. That's what my kids do anyways. :)
ReplyDelete