Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wheat Grass Homicide

Cody and I are trying to be a little better about keeping at least a 3 month supply of food and toiletries around at all times in case of emergencies (and lazy moms who don't want to shop regularly) and in our storage we have wheat. I don't have a wheat grinder or any real way to use the wheat right now so if the end of the world came tomorrow I guess we'd be chewing hard wheat berries to stay alive or just eat the millions of boxes of cold cereal and gravy mix I bought in bulk. MMMmmm- dry cereal and dry gravy mix.

Anyway, I got the bright idea that I wanted to plant a cute little rusty wagon full of wheat grass as a decoration, hey if I can't eat it I'll plant a hand full of it. The only problem is that I don't have a cute little rusty wagon. So plan B was to plant the wheat in a few of the 5 bazillion pots I have and put them on the ledge in my dining area. I painted an old frame we had lying around and used a few cast iron stars to hang off of it and put my wheat grass pots behind the frame once they were grassy. In my head it was such a cute idea.


It looked great for 3 days which was good because those where the pants-less days and I think my fantastic wheat helped to distract or divert attention away from me and my neon legs. I put my pants back on and this is what happened-


Apparently my neon legs served as some type of grow lamps or something. My wheat is dying. I tried keeping them in the kitchen windows for the past week but they're only getting worse. I have company coming on Monday and wanted the empress them with my fantastic idea but it looks horrible and it takes a week to grow new stuff. Help! Anyone know how to give wheat grass a little CPR? Cody says I can't go pants-less anymore and really it's not hot enough in here for my "natural" grow lights ;o).


7 comments:

  1. that really is cute, sorry its not doing well, I could never have put that all together, my brain doesnt work that way, I could however come over with my neon legs if that would help. Mine are fatter than yours so theres more neon surface!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your poor, poor plants. I have a black thumb, but maybe try a self tanner. Perhaps the grass will begin to love you again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute idea - I love the frame!! As for the sickly wheat grass, I would try putting them outside for a few days. Maybe they are getting too much water. BTW, I hate wearing pants when I am pregnant too - make that clothes in general.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea! I kill everythign I try to grow, so I'm no help at all! But what is it with us mom's and neon legs? I looked down at mine yesterday while we took the kids to the pool and realized my farmer tan and white legs were definately a sore sight! I should take advantage of the sun over here in Boise and fix my poor legs! but who really has time to just lay out in the sun?!! :o) I hope it works out better! I'm always looking for cute deco ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the display!! So cool and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would try giving it a haircut. Or try rotating the middle pot so the brownish grass hides if possible. I love this idea. I grew wheat grass once too. . I think you can actually eat it - or blend it into shakes? Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative!
    Love the new look too!!
    I haven't been around in awhile and was just checkin in to see how you were doing. Hope you are enjoying the summer! Oh and you have inspired me to try out a tad bit of sewing. I am going to be working on some curtains for my kitchen...it's a straight line, I think I can handle that! :)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete