I can’t stand April fools day. I’m a baby about pranks but for good reason. It’s great fun unless your birthday is the day before April Fools. Heaven help the child actually born today. No birthday gifts were safe as a kid. I had one day to play with my new stuff safely and then I had to find a really good place to hide my loot for the coming day. Being the oldest of 6 there were plenty of little criminals just waiting for me to drop my guard. Sure I was bigger and meaner but I was out numbered and they were quick.
I had a slumber party the year I turned 13. Huge day in our family because that meant make up. Sheer lip gloss, nude colored eye shadows, barely there blush, and all in a caboodle. I was so cool. I also got my first underwire bra, you know- brand new teenager stuff. I had been waiting to be a teenager for months. My sister (hi Wendy!) had some of her friends over as well and they were busy that night. When I woke up the next morning my gifts had all been frozen, for April Fools day. Even the bra. My new clear mascara was ruined. I cried and left clear mascara streaks all over my face. Sad. Ever since then I refuse to acknowledge April Fools day. Doesn’t exist in my house. I don’t turn my calendar to April until April second.
So, in my mission to make April Mean Fools Day extinct and bump all those prank idea posts filling your Google reader here are some other things to look at. Just say no to pranking. Say yes to a 20 lb box of breakfast.
No, not for the kids. I make them eat healthy stuff. My mom doesn’t live here anymore so I can eat whatever I want.
Rather than saran wrapping your potty (and cleaning up a gross mess later) why not check out Muffinpie dolls? This little red head is mine. I couldn’t resist those tiny lips, her little hat, and her Tyra Banks “smile with your eyes” look. I love her.
Who wants to waste time and energy making your loved ones fear for their lives and cooking a weird dinner? Nab a take and bake pizza and peruse the site of Don Gray instead. He paints cool stuff. Stuff that I see everyday. I’m getting a print of this painting as an inside joke, I guess not so much a joke but an inside story. It’s actually a great painting and I have lemons in my kitchen so it will look great in there but the kicker is it’s called “Lone Lemon”. When I was little I had a joke book called the Lone Lemon and I tortured everyone with it for years. Years. My aunt still shakes violently when anyone mentions joke books.
Cody also snagged this print. We used to live on the other side of the building in the painting and I would see that chair everyday. We used to have a chair like that growing up and I told Cody how much I wanted it. He tried to buy it from the guy that owned it as a surprise for me but it wasn’t for sale. I thought it was so sweet of him to try for me and forgot about it. Then Don Gray painted the exact chair I wanted. So I didn’t get the chair but I’m getting an awesome print of it to remember how sweet Cody is.
I had a great day yesterday, got some great stuff, and Wendy better not come anywhere near my house today.
Have a fantastic Thursday!

I'm not a big fan of April Fool's day either, my family never celebrated it. Maybe it's cause I have an Aunt born on April 1st. My son's birthday is on the 31st as well, and I am glad we don't play jokes, I just don't find them funny.
ReplyDeleteI try to ignore April fools day too, and tomorrow is my due date with baby #3 and as much as I really want him/her to come out and join us I really hope I don't suddenly go into labour and have this kid before midnight tonight. No one wants an april fools birthday.
ReplyDeleteAhhh... the days of the caboodle and clear mascara!!! Memories.
ReplyDeleteWhat's yellow and wears a mask? (The Lone Lemon.) The many 5 hour trips we had hoped she left it at home!
ReplyDeleteKira
If I could tell a little white lie, I would tell you I purposely did not conceive 40 weeks prior to April 1st for those exact reasons. Seriously, some people are cruel. That being said, I usually do not get into the April Fools stuff. . . too much work. But the kids get a kick out of telling me they got in trouble at school & me falling for it. Happy Birthday a little bit late:)
ReplyDeleteI am not a big fan of "practical" jokes any time of the year and I am never for anything that might hurt someones feeling or cause any sort of damage.
ReplyDeleteOne thing that I think that is cool though is "fake foods" like the fake bacon and eggs at http://tmatthewsfineart.blogspot.com/2010/04/breakfast-anyone.html which is made out graham crackers, M&Ms, icing and pretzels.
Man, the caboodle. I miss it.
ReplyDeletewhere in heaven's name did you get that big box of Andes mints? I'm totally wanting my own box!!! :)
ReplyDelete