Ah, the high tech elastic insertion device. A must have. The bigger the better. I like diaper pins the best, they glide through easier.
This little baby is my favorite tool ever. Ever. How do you turn a loop without a loop turner? You don’t. You scream and yell and don’t make skinny straps. Bunnies will cry watching you try to turn a strap without one.
I use this to turn all my dress and shirt straps right side out. It turns a very tedious job into a 5 second one. If you make clothes this is a must have. For about $6 ($3 if you wait for a notions wall sale) it’s worth every cent and more. Plus it saves bunnies from dehydrating.*
Another favorite and a big splurge, my gingher scissors. I got mine for a steal but they hardly ever see the light of day. They are too sacred to use to snip threads. They stay in their little tin with the protective black thingy on them. I love them and when I find a project worthy of them I know they will cut like butter. They are that awesome. I have a pair of regular scissors to cut threads and another pair of regular scissors used solely to cut out fabric. My ginghers just look purty. I have a scissors problem but I’m not willing to deal with it yet.
Another basic favorite. My self healing mat, rotary cutter, and clear ruler. I pull these out every time I sew and I use my mat when I craft to. My set has lasted 8 years, I’m sure you can see how thrashed my mat is in all my tutorial pictures. I didn’t fully appreciate them until a few years ago and now I can’t live without them.
My ruffler foot. I bought a generic one for my machine and only pull it out a few times a year, but every time I do I remember how much I love it and think I should use more often. Much like my ginghers…
My 1/8” hemming foot, oh how I love thee. It saved my fancy Easter dresses a few years ago. It’s my super foot. I only use it on sheer or silky stuff since it’s so little. I only use it a few times a year but for only $4.99 regular price it’s worth it’s weight in gold. I’m on the look out for a 1/4” foot that I know will get used a ton.
These are just a few of my favorites. You don’t have to have some of these things but if you’re ever in the fabric store and see a great deal on them I suggest giving them a whirl.
*Just so you know, I have never been paid to do or say anything on my blog so these are just my humble little opinions of my favorite things that I use, and I can’t be sure that bunnies will cry and get dehydrated but you don’t want to risk it.
What are your favorites, must have or just like to have?

the hemming foot looks fun! I've never seen those. My machine probably won't take one though it is ancient! It is my husband's grandmother's. It's a MACHINE though and won't quit. I love it.
ReplyDeleteAmen to the Ginghers!!!!! When I got my first sewing machine, my wise Nanny (as in gramma, NOT actual nanny ;) ) told me if I could only invest in one major thing, buy the Ginghers!!! I've never once regretted my decision and oh how I love them.
ReplyDeletei about turned my house upside down looking for a diaper pin on saturday to turn a band right side out! and i just bought myself my very first rolling cutter today! can't wait to use it. i'm not a great seamstress, but once in a while i get the urge and have been feeling inspired by all your cute creations! i'll let you know when i post my latest. keep up the good work!
ReplyDeletecan you show us how the hemming foot works? I'm intrigued. Of course I should probably figure out all the different feet that came with my machine. I've only ever used the regular and the zipper feet.
ReplyDeleteGinghers are my FAV too, I use them to cut all my fabrics/threads, etc....would never go without them! Last week my husband was in the bathroom, I heard a snip, snip, snip....the door was open, I said "what are you doing" he swings around from the mirror with my Ginghers in hand, he was tidying up his goatee, I yelled "NOOOOOO!!!!" he said "what????" I had to explain to NEVER use those on anything but fabric/threads, I about died!
ReplyDeleteI sing that some to my girl all the time...have thingy you might be missing...one of those big knitting stitch holder/elastic theader...I keep mine hidden..its the best..and soooo quick.
ReplyDeletecheers nic
I so wish my rottary cutter worked. It has never cut a darn thing since the day I bought it. I am afraid to buy another one.
ReplyDeleteA loop turner-so THAT'S how you do it! I was wondering when I was making the straps for the apron top-I as getting very annoyed (not at you, of course). Now I know what will solve my problem!
ReplyDeleteHow did you figure out how to use the ruffler? Mine didn't come with instructions. I figured out how to get it on my machine...and then I gave up.
ReplyDelete♥ Yep! All of my favorite things also! Well almost, I've never used a ruffle foot but want too!!! and I can't figure out my hemming foot, I'm retarded! and I want a loop turner SOOO BAD! I go crazy every time I have to do one!
ReplyDeleteOooh that ruffle foot looks exciting, I have to get one of those! I've just got a rotary cutter and I'm addicted already :D
ReplyDeleteMy mother always had a hierarchy of scissors... one for silk only, one for fabric, heavy craft scissors for rough jobs, paper and light card scissors, kids scissors and kitchen scissors. Heaven forbid that you use the wrong ones... heaven forbid you breathe on the silk scissors!
ReplyDeleteA diaper pin! Brilliant, I was going to find my kilt pin stash but your idea is better for smaller casings.
ReplyDeleteAlso, what is this loop turner you speak of? Sounds too good to be true, I'll be looking for one of those today I think.
I just started using my ruffler foot this weekend and love it, but wow you go through some serious yardage yes?
And for serious, why would anyone try and do a rolled hem on their own when there are so many great feet for it? I have I think 5 different sizes that came with my '65 Kenmore.
Also,also, you have a new follower.