Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The lowdown on the duds

I was asked quite a while ago how my shirts hold up in the wash. Well I didn’t want to report until I did sufficient testing and I’m happy to say that they look just about the exact same as they did when I made them.

I’ve washed these shirts no less than half a dozen times and so far so good, even the glued on “S” looks just fine. I turn them inside out and wash them on a regular cycle with my regular wash loads. I don’t waste my time hanging them to dry either. Into the dryer they go (inside out) and so far so good.

Since the great computer crash my photoshop isn’t working right, can’t get it to stay open. Sorry for the cruddy pictures while I figure it out.

00washed1

There are a few loose strands of fabric where I left the edges raw on the background squares but I knew that would happen. The only thing that isn’t holding up as well as the others would be the green twill tape “E”, but I saw that one coming. I thought the black ric rac would bleed since I didn’t pre wash anything but nope.

00washedtop

00washed2

The candy jar shirts look same, no threads or anything. I would show you Kaci’s shirt but she stuck a sticker to the plastic part. It needs a good goo gone session. These have to be dried inside out, unless you want plastic candy jar stuck to your dryer. Another handy tip: if you want your jar to look like a jar and not a crumpled piece of plastic (like mine right now) you have to take it out of the dryer while the plastic is still warm and smooth it out. I’ve tried ironing it out (from the inside) to straighten it when I forgot to get it from the dryer right away and it didn’t work. It left button imprints on the plastic and that’s not good, but one wash later it went back to normal.

I crossed my fingers for the black ric rac, but everything else I knew would wash okay because of this little secret and I zig zagged the crud out of my seams on the socks so they wouldn’t unravel.

00bags

To make this post the longest one I’ve ever written I thought I should add, I’m leaving town this weekend by myself! It’s going to be so fun but I’m more excited about the next weekend. Cody is surprising me for our Anniversary (Feb. 5th) with a weekend away. 2 weekends kid free! He won’t tell me where we are going or what we’ll be doing but it’s the first time we’ll both be away from the kids at the same time -together- ever. I KNOW! I hate to admit this but I’ve never hired a babysitter that wasn’t family. Ever. Jeremy is 10 and has no idea what a real baby sitter is. I know they’ll be in great hands this time but I’m still kind of freaking out. I’m also a really bad sport when it comes to surprises so I’m really preoccupied right now.

So here’s what I’m trying to say I guess, I’m not meshing with the apron top pattern remake at the moment. I think it’s just because my brain is fuzzy and thinking about everything but sewing right now. I think it’s best to put the pattern on hold until I come back. I don’t want it to come out all wonky because I was trying to force it. I’m going to let it come to me when it comes. I do have another fun tutorial that’s already done and I did while my computer was down so I’ll share that in the mean time. No thinking involved ;). Think boy.

Have a fantastic Tuesday!

5 comments:

  1. Good for you for taking off. Have a wonderful time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I am fuzzy brained too. Just returning home from my part time job and I love relaxing a moment with my favortie read. Thanks ever so much!
    Enjoy your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I have just returned home from my little part time Wed. job. I'm fuzzy brained too. Thanks for being that relaxing moment in my day with your posts. I can't wait until the next one...Enjoy your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment on my blog Bridget! I have to admit...I've never hired a babysitter outside of family members either, and my oldest is 9 years old...AND my husband and I have never gone on a honeymoon!? We are determined to make it happen atleast within the next couple years!?! Have fun with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ♥ How exciting! I've never left my kids with anyone but family either... I feel your anxiety! Have a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete