Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Apron top sticky note

back-soon

If you’re wondering what happened to my Apron top tutorial, I pulled it down for now.  It was brought to my attention yesterday that my top and another top pattern sold on Etsy are too close for comfort, and I don’t feel good about it. 

I work really hard to draft my patterns and make each tutorial from scratch, I measure my kids and go from there without any patterns what so ever.  I also search Etsy to make sure no one else has an item exactly like the items I make tutorials for and have not done a tutorial before because I found that the original idea I thought was all mine was someone else's great idea to.  The searches I did didn’t pull up a top like mine so I did the tutorial, but there is a similar one my search didn’t catch.  I’m ironing out the details and might tweak it or put it back as is, I’m not sure yet.  Just don’t want to be the bad guy ya know so until I’m comfy with everything it’s on hold.

I’m still doing the giveaway so don’t forget you have until midnight tonight to enter!

Can’t let this get me down so here’s what I’m up to today-

100_7108

Have a fantastic Wednesday and good luck to you giveaway enterers,  I’m getting my drawing hat ready for tomorrow!

15 comments:

  1. Man, I really wanted to see that tutorial :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well poo poo to anyone who could possibly complain. That is the nature of the business of sewing. There's only so much one can do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I was looking forward to making one myself! I think that the world is too big to claim something as 'original' I am sorry that someone complained to you about it. Your sewing is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love it if you changed it to be an "all around" top. so nothing would have to be worn underneath. I was thinking of trying to make two of your tops and them seaming them up the sides to make one shirt. not sure if that would have worked or not, but that is one idea for changing it!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. bummer. Well I hope you can tweak it enough to be satified. I think they are adorable. Sewing is one of those mediums that if you now how your are going to run into someone else you knows it too and does the same thing. I am thinking of starting up my own Etsy shop right now and your little complaint you received is one of the reasons I haven't started on up yet. I am not sure if you've been over to my blog to see the blessing gown I made, but it's what started my whole desire to set up shop. Keep up the good work! You are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know....you just plain rock. Nice of you to take it down and make the other person feel vindicated, but.....pffff. I'm with the others. It's not like an apron that looks like a halter top is copyrighted to one and only. Did she originate gathers w/ a yoke too?

    Do what you feel best about. But you're still my hero and I love people who can make up patterns like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Help! I just got all the pieces cut and can't remember how to attach the yoke and straps, if you could email me the directions I would really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wondering if you couldn't possibly email the tutorial to those who specifically request it. I was looking forward to trying to make it for one of my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ♥ I actually think it's pretty cool that you do that! There arent' many out there that care enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I think it's great that you respect other's work as well, but at the same time it is very possible for two people to come up with the same ideas. I was actually going to try to make your top with a full back instead of the straps. Maybe that is an option that you could work into it to differentiate them so you would wear it with or without a top underneath. Just a suggestion. (Plus then I wouldn't have to put any thought into changing it myself haha) Best of luck with whatever you decide! It was a beautiful top and I love the fabrics you put together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh NO, I got all my fabric out last night to sew it this am, I was really looking forward to making one! THanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe the angry people should read this:
    http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2009/12/how-to-protect-your-ideas-in-the-digital-age.html
    There is no way to copyright an idea-only the words, sounds, or images-none of which you used. Therefore, they have no legs to stand on. Unless they want to patent the process of course. Unfortunately, since gathering stitches and cutting fabric is something that's been done for AGES, I don't think they will get very far with that.

    I've got your back Bridget :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just LOVE your blog. I think we think a like. I especially love your shirt you remade for your daughter. I swear I was about to do the exact same thing with an almost identical shirt. CRAZY. But I am feeling much more confident now that its done. When I blog about it I will mention you. :)
    BeckysCraftCloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for considering other people ~ not everyone does, you know?

    So I was wondering how you number your comments. I've been doing some giveaways lately and it would be so much easier the comments were numbered. Could you teach me (or us) how to do that?

    Amber
    adctd2qultng@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's too bad! I really wanted to make one of those...maybe I'll be able to come up with my own version. I'm pretty much with the others-there are TONS of stuff on etsy that are almost identical to each other, how can someone complain that you have something on your blog? This idea has been out for awhile. It's nice of you to respect that person, but we're all bummed, haha!

    ReplyDelete