No surprise here but I got our school pictures back and heaven help me. My mom came this weekend and saw them and gave me that look. I know what she’s thinking. She’s hoping I give her wallets so she doesn’t have to display them ;).
Jeremy actually takes pretty normal pictures as far as his body goes but his expression is not my favorite. He likes the “drunk, dazed, and confused smiling chicken” expression. I think you have to have a chicken to know the look. They cock their heads kind of sideways and give you a blank stare. If chickens could smile they would look like this-
When anyone but myself takes Ashlyn’s picture she gets really shy and ducks, losing her neck completely. She looks like one of the Barbies we had growing up that no one played with because her neck was broken so we crammed her head on the neck stem anyway. Every school picture reminds me of neck less Malibu Barbie. Her skin is pretty tricky since she’s so porcelain toned and it almost always comes out green on film. Don’t even get me started on her expression. What is this?
Lifetouch says “looks you’ll love”- uh huh. Every year. So, because these are staying hidden in the kid’s baby books for all time and eternity I decided to take it upon myself to capture my criminal’s mug shots as I see them. I had to grab each kid at a different time of day so the coloring is a bit different for each of them. I’m no photographer (obviously) and I don’t claim to be but I think these are just a tiny bit better than Chicken Jim and Malibu Ash.
So mom, you’re welcome. I’m such a nice daughter I won’t make you hang the blue ones on your wall until you’re 90 ;). I took a picture of all of the kids so I could send updated photos to everyone.
I’m off to stop procrastinating and *start* sewing the costumes I need to make. I’m so glad I’m only making 2!
I'm embarrassed to type this but I just now realized you have 5 kids :) WOW, you are busy bee! They are all BEAUTIFUL!
ReplyDeleteMy mom works for Lifetouch and prides herself on getting the best pictures of kids. Of course, not all kids give her much to work with. She has been great at making sure my kids' pictures turn out great (and are free to me!) but this year our school district went with another company. Seriously? There's another company besides Lifetouch that does school pictures? Your pictures look MUCH better than the ones from school.
ReplyDeleteYour pictures look great! And your children are adorable! I didn't know you have five kids either. I feel a whole new level of respect and awe for you and all your craftiness! :)
ReplyDeleteIf you think those are bad, you should check out my drivers license pic - those are the worst!
ReplyDeleteYou seriously have the cutest stinkin kids around....school pictures are never good! I love the ones you took! How adorable!
ReplyDeleteYOu are to funny. I feel the same way about school pictures-Do you think my kids would hate me if I never buy any? jk. Anyway your pictures turned out beautiful and your kids are adorable.
ReplyDelete-Crystal
You crack me up!! Though I am not to the school picture stage...a couple more years. I fear I will be in your shoes. Anika so dislikes Mommy's camera I am certain she will really not be thrilled sitting still for someone else. Well you out did yourself with your shots. Sometimes I wish they would go back to black and white photos...like when I was a kid. Oh just aged myself there!!
ReplyDeleteLifetouch has been ridiculous the last couple of years here...for the last two years they've completely off-centered my daughter in the photo!?
ReplyDelete♥ I LOVE your pictures!!! The leaves and fence! Fabulous and they're adorable! :)
ReplyDeleteOK can you come take pictures for my kids school? I don't know if they are trying to prepare them for Dr. License pictures or what, but I really don't understand how they think some of the photos are passable. Interesting post as our re-takes are this week, we'll see if our re-takes are any better.
ReplyDeleteHi Bridget,
ReplyDeleteI just thought I would share with you our company- Mugshots School Photography-where we "create school portraits worth framing" by contracting with local professional child photographers.
With our company your mom could even choose which photo she liked, purchase it online and it would be delivered directly to her home.
Your adorable kids deserve better than what you are paying for now!
Check us out and let me know what you think.
That is a hilarious post. The pictures you took vs. the school pictures look like they're of different children! :) I love the chicken bit.
ReplyDeleteYour kids look great whoever takes their pictures. . .but your pics are WAY better than the ones from school:) At least you take pictures of your kids. My poor kids don't have very good photos of them yet this year. I think I need to take them or get them taken. . but they all need a haircut first. If only I didn't need to sleep! AHHHHH!!!
ReplyDeleteI bought the cheapest picture package just to get a class picture. Your pictures look 100% better than the school ones. My girl went to school sick to get her picture taken so I am sure it won't look great. Good luck on the costumes, I need to get started on my daughters.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are a hundred thousand times cuter! What is with school pics? I've never heard of Lifetouch though...up in Cache Valley it seems all the schools use Bell Photography...at least last I checked. ANYWHO....yeah, your pics rock, school pics SUCK.
ReplyDeleteYou are right. Lifetouch pictures are almost always horrible. That's what you get when you hire people for as little as possible. And the cost of the pictures are way too high for the quality recieved. That's because the school systems require the company to give a large "kickback" of their profits to the school. Guess who pays for that. By the way, your pictures are great and you've got 5 beautiful kids. there. You did a greast job capturing that in your pictures. Much better than "the professionals".
ReplyDeleteOk Bridgie,
ReplyDeleteSo I'm a little late in reading so of these older blogs. I saw the Halloween pictures. I saw the blogs before this one. WHY DID I MISS THIS ONE???? When you blogged that you could send updated photos to everyone, were you truly saying you could or that you would? Wondering.......hmmm is she going to send me some or am I going to have to stock her and then make my own?
This is just a question I had.
Love you
i so agree about the school pics - usually the ones taken in the fall...the spring ones are more causal. But my kid always has their shirt buttoned all the way up like a Loobner or a patch of hair sticking up or some strange expression. DIY if you want the real kid, I say!
ReplyDelete