
Just look at them- awh. Did I ever mention I had a pet rat growing up named Tilly? No, well it's not something I'm proud of but the point I'm trying to make here is that I wish them no ill will. I will not run them over when they run in front of me, I brake for squirrel. When they run around on my roof at 5:30 in the morning I just kindly bang on the wall- just a tap to let them know I need my beauty rest, no air soft gun. I'm kind to all fur bearing beasts. Until Thursday...
Until this charged at me, in my CRAFT ROOM! He entered through my chimney, as evidenced by all soot everywhere. I swear I did not retouch this picture one bit. If I did I would have added a cute craft hutch, not a red eyed spawn of satan.

I'll tell the readers digest condensed version of the story since I get myself all worked up when I tell it at length, so if I've animated this with my flailing arms for you earlier in the week you can just laugh at me all over again.
I was sitting in my craft room/office catching up on some much needed email replies and feeding Kennedy when I hear a small crash coming from my kitchen. This happens at least 10 times a day with the girls tromping around upstairs so I didn't think anything of it until about 15 minutes goes by and I see a scurry in my office. I look down, by my bare feet mind you, and within one foot of my foot is a squirrel. A live outdoor squirrel inside and he's making noises at me. I do what any calm rational person would do and I scream a girly scream and fling myself back with my rolling office chair dropping to the ground and slamming my doors as fast as I can.
I have glass french doors that don't really stay shut so I grab my handy dandy rubber band and tie those suckers together. Now he's trapped in my craft room. Since I was online (dial-up) and my cell phone was in there I couldn't call for help without going in with the beast. I braved the unknown armed with my trusty pink butterfly net, grabbed the cell phone and disconnected from the internet. He saw me coming and charged me, fangs drawn and screaming. Okay, so the fang part I made up but he really did run towards me. Sheer terror sets in. Did you see the picture?
I somehow managed to get the doors shut again with him locked inside and he runs off towards my supplies. All I can do is helplessly watch as he grabs my scrapbook papers in his impossibly cute paws (?) and throws them on the floor "she loves me, she loves me not" style. NOOOOOoooo!!! The girls and I sat and watched him terrorize my stuff through the glass for about 3 hours. My craft room is in shambles. The ending of this story will make Cody look like a pansy who sacrifices his wife to save his own behind so I won't go there ;o). Needless to say I ended up opening the window, punching the screen Rambo style with my big biceps, and after a little prodding and more screaming (by all of us, including the squirrel) he jumped out. Squirrel be gone! If you've read this entirely let me know and there might be a goody in it for you... just maybe... he he... just comment and put the word "spawn" in there somehow and I'll know you know and you are in the drawing. Don't leave a comment that will give it away that I'm giving something away though... I want to see who's paying attention. Leave your name and email so I can get a hold of you in case you win. I'm so tricky!
I've spent the rest of the weekend disinfecting my entire house after finding sooty foot prints on my toaster, in my bathroom sink, on my end table by the couch, and other places. Yumm-o!
Have a fantastic weekend full of friends and family and devoid of squirrels ;o).
I have to say having lived through your ordeal via phone and listening to you scream was pretty funny, but if I were at your house with you I probably would have been on the floor laughing as you watched him love or love not your supplies.
ReplyDeleteSee those spawn are just rats with cuter outfits.
:)Rachel
you and your wild kingdom...
But I am glad you survived your attack with nature! :) So what's next is Jack going to go all Hulk on ya!!
ReplyDeleteNature can certainly spawn some cute and cuddly BUT ferocious creatures. Hilarious story, I can picture every minute. I have a mouse in my outside laundry........ any tips on getting rid of him?
ReplyDeletei have an evil spawn story, too.
ReplyDeleteIt involves a bat AND a tarantula on the same day in the same house.
evil, i tell you. pure evil.
email: motionsickgirl, gmail
Oh my gosh! That's hilarious although I'm sure it wasn't at the moment! I have no spawn stories to share and hope I never do!
ReplyDeletevalerieann118atmsndotcom
I believe that they (squirrels) are the spawn of evil and rodents with bushy tails to fool us...I would be walking around in full gear now ready for the next attack (helmet/gloves/hockey stick)....
ReplyDeleteI do believe the spawn was rabid. YIKES!
ReplyDeleteI think the spawn wanted some craft time too and it's just not fair that you were not the least bit obliging. That's why he trashed the place.;)
ReplyDeleteI've always been weary of squirrels. When in college they would come out and bark at you while you meandered down the sidewalk. Always thought they were evil spawn hiding their victims under piles of leaves and acorns! You were braver than I, I would have left the house until my husband got home!
ReplyDeleteI am sooooo sorry! That would freak my freak and I think that they are cute! You are brave, a brave spawn getter outer.
ReplyDeleteHow rude to destroy your craft room! I would have totally freaked if some spawn of the devil squirrel was throwing my stuff around!
ReplyDeleteThat is one heck of a spawn. (And sorry about your hubby being a bit of a pansy... :) )
ReplyDeleteWhat a spawn! I cant believe all that adrenaline didnt kick in when he was wreacking your room! I am glad you didnt drop the baby you were feeding when he came in. I was a bit worried, I might have just out of surprise.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you mean! When I moved to the city from my small town, I had to go to a park get my daily walk for exercise. An older gentleman was somewhat ahead of me, and I could see that he was giving peanuts to the devil spawns! By the time I passed him, one of the rodents tried to chase me down as if I had peanuts, too. The crazy little thing put its hands on its hips and started rudely chirping at me in what I know had to have been profanity in squirrel language. I don't think I've ever been so abused in my life!
ReplyDeletewell my grandma had a baby spawn when we were little. The thing would not go to anyone except my grandma. Whenever we tried to it would hiss and start going insane on us. I was 7.haha.
ReplyDeleteWell thanks for coming out and telling us the story. [=
I had a mouse encounter while I was dating my now-husband. Let's just say it was winter in IL and my roommate and I took a walk cause he was chasing the spawn of Satan around the kitchen with a baseball bat. There was some definite girly- chair climbing and squealing involved before the walk!!! Luckily no baby or craft supplies were involved!!!
ReplyDeleteSquirrels are spawn of the devil.
ReplyDeleteWe had some trying to bury their nuts in our attic. My husband chased them out, after a few sleepless nights. They are trying to get back in. I can hear them clawing away up there. Trying their hardest. It's the creepiest sound.
I just love reading your blog. You are so talented with telling your life stories that I feel like I am there also. :)
ReplyDeleteI admit had I been there with you when the little spawn come in I would have been helping you hold the door to keep him away from me as well.
Bridget,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great laugh and flashback! try having 5 baby spawns and a P.O.'d mamma squirrel, that's what was in my MIL's bedroom after returning from vacation - she wanted us to "flush the d**m things down the toilet!" I being a huge animal lover of all (except snakes!) put them in a box and took them to a local park in hopes the babies would be "adpoted" by another spawn squirrel mamma! crazy I know :)I even have the picture of the babies in the box on my cell phone..haha - thanks again! Michelle
Too funny. I was laughing from the start! From your picture I swear it was a rat- it looks like one and those things seriously creep me out, but your squirrel could really be the spawn of one!
ReplyDelete~Shawna
scglasswork@aol.com
LOL! I know how the squirrels can turn into spawns of satan. Quite a while back a baby squirrel (how cute are those?) hissed & screamed at my kids in the backyard. It also kept approaching them. This freaked us out & we figured it was sick or something. . .so Scott had to "take care" of it. It really was scary - but I felt bad for the squirrel anyway. Glad it's out of your house!
ReplyDeleteI hope there are no more spawn encounters in your future.
ReplyDeleteaccoupons at gmail dot com
squirrel hell-spawn! :O
ReplyDeletefortunately, squirrels in my area seem to be rather ... er... non-satanic, and enjoy munching on dropped cheesies at the local campsite.
♥ I'm with Rachel they're rat's with cuter outfits and I would have screamed too!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI can relate to having wildlife and their spawn visit indoors and it isn't fun and it's isn't pretty - the after-effects of birds, specifically. It does make for a funny story though, thanks for sharing!!!
ReplyDeleteEWWWWW! I would have been freaked having that spawn in my house too! We have centipedes, lizards and cockroaches, but no devil squirrel spawn! Glad it's gone!
ReplyDeleteOoooh, Spawn of Satan! Did you check for a 666 tatoo on the little varmit's head? We had one of those little guys on the deck last summer staring us down--wasn't the least bit scared of us. My son told the critter the only thing saving him from a and steady diet of D-Con was his cute little bushy tail. How true. dlord(at)pinehurstpropertiesllp(dot)com.
ReplyDeleteI brake for spawn! (and will continue to do so, even with the new knowledge that said spawn doesn't appreciate your crafting goodness...maybe your visitor was just a rogue, naughty rodent - I'm certain the little fluffy fellows I dodge on the highway and watch from my window totally appreciate our love for all things crafty)
ReplyDeleteOH, I completely understand! I had a strangly similar experience with a baby mouse last week in my craft room! Needless to say, it didn't end well for the mouse! (My husband and worthless cat weren't much help either!) I'm still in the disinfectant stage! Have a wonderful rodent-free week :)
ReplyDeleteThat spawn is the devil! My granparents feed those freakin things and I just pray that they never follow them back in the house! Your blog is sooo funny, I love reading everything! Oh, and thanks for all your craft posts! I love seeing all you do!
ReplyDeleteIf I wasn't completely disgusted with this story, I'm sure I'd be di-spawn-dent. I'd never go in my craft room again.
ReplyDeleteI'm so relieved that this happened to you and not me. I can barely handle a hobo spider.
Corrie and I once locked ourselves in a bathroom from a bumble bee. We stuffed a towel at the bottom of the door and waited for my mom to come home. We were 37.
how freaky!!!! I hate squirrel spawn!
ReplyDeleteI love squirrels! This is not to say that I wouldn't have freaked out like you did if I saw one in my house!! My hubby believes they are evil spawn, he doesn't like them one bit! My two daughters and myself feed them in the summertime, maybe I'll think twice now???
ReplyDeleteYou are a great story teller! I could picture the events as you were telling them!
I'm so glad we don’t have evil things like that that spawn over here in NZ, the most we get are sandflies (think mini mosquitoes with a nasty bite)and imported possums, no wild ferocious animals or snakes or evil squirrels. I just have a thing about moths can’t stand them; I have almost perfected the moth extermination method with a fast flung pillow, just need to work on my aim. Email addy on my blog
ReplyDeleteGreat story. My husband has a similar story and also acted similarly to you. It was awesome. Gotta go---my evil spawn in getting into the pantry.
ReplyDeleteOh,yes, we have spawn like that as well. He likes looking in windows until you come feed him or the dog chases him off, whichever comes first. He came into my kitchen...once....the dog set him straight pretty quickly as to whose kitchen it was....
ReplyDeleteOh,yes, we have spawn like that as well. He likes looking in windows until you come feed him or the dog chases him off, whichever comes first. He came into my kitchen...once....the dog set him straight pretty quickly as to whose kitchen it was....
ReplyDeleteoh how lucky you are! i heart small furies. i bet i would have freaked out as well, but only after he started going through my crafty things.....cause only an evil spawn would dare touch my yarn or fabric with anything but a loving nature.
ReplyDeleteI am speechless!! Your brave comes to mind.
ReplyDeleteYou know that squirrel went home giggling and told all his squirrel friends about the people he held hostage!
ReplyDeleteThey may be the spawn of satan but they are so darn cute...super trouble makers!
ashflee02@yahoo.com
Two years ago i was a confrontation with a very small spawn, it was epic!!, I jump from one side to another with broom in hand chasing it. After the expulsion of spawn i disnfect all: floors, bed blankets, toys, I thought bacteria, fleas, all sorts of bad bugs. My husband and my daughter laugh at my frantic bustle cleaning.
ReplyDeleteMy uncle has a squirrels that he feeds by hand. They are cute. My boys leave feed for the ones here at our house,....but for one to be IN MY HOUSE?? NO, NO, no spawn up in here!!! I'm with you I'd have to call someone my husband or my oldest son to come over here and remove it!! My two youngest boys would love it though!
ReplyDelete