It's been rainy and sprinkly almost all week and there's nothing better on a rainy and sprinkly (yes I know sprinkly isn't a word but it's fun to say) day than a good filling soup that's not too heavy. I found a new favorite I thought I would share because it's too good not to. I've had the recipe for at least 2 years and never tried it until last month and I feel bad that I let 2 years slide without ever making it, where have you been all my soup making life? Meet Cheddar Ham Chowder-

It's basically a really good corn chowder with ham and cheese in it. Ham, a cousin of bacon- need I say more? It cooks up really quick, it takes me about 30-45 min. from start to finish. My family loves it but I did make a few changes. I add an extra cup of carrots (frozen sliced), used super sweet white corn, added an extra 1/2 cup water (to cover the extra carrots), decreased the celery because celery is a waste vegetable but I still like a little celery flavor, and I increased the ham because one just has to.
I love this soup with homemade rolls and a side salad. Last night I made corn bread to go with it like the recipe recommends and it's not my favorite side with it, rolls are better. I do have a kick butt corn bread recipe that needs to be shared. It's a sweet corn bread that's really moist (the first day anyway) and we love it with chili. I've used yellow or white corn meal and it's great either way although white makes it a little more moist for some reason.
Here's the link for it- Sweet Corn Bread
This is why I gain 11 pounds in less than a month!
♡ It looks really good. I need a better cornbread recipe too!!! You crack me up about bacon and it's cousin! :)
ReplyDeleteFinally!!! Thank you! I will be trying this one for sure.
ReplyDeleteBut now you have me craving bacon, anyone up for a stuffed BLT?
:)Rachel
Your funny with your pork. Good thing you live far way from my two olders sons pigs. hehe
ReplyDeleteI am going to try this soup recipe, but I am a homemade winter soup girl.
Hey Bridget- I'm just checking all my favorite blogs instead of doing the responsible thing like going to sleep. Just thought I would leave a comment and mention that I love reading your blog. You are seriously hilarious. Anyway, I'm out here. Take care. I once gained 11 lbs in one month. It is hard to take in at that moment, but when you are skinny again, that panic feeling will fade.
ReplyDeleteInteresting celery facts:As far back as ancient Rome, celery was considered an aphrodisiac. Today, scientists know that celery contains androsterone, a pheromone released by men's sweat glands that attracts females. (good reason to avoid it) & It takes just one ounce of celery seeds to produce an acre of celery. I don't know why I decided to comment on celery. I got this info from:http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/25-facts-about-celery.html
ReplyDeleteOhh that looks wonderful! I can't wait to try it!
ReplyDelete