Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tute for the tub.

I finished baby shower project #1 and it’s been delivered so I can share-

00hood2My toddlers absolutely loved big bath towel hooded towels and they’re the ones I always reach for first so I thought I’d show you how I make mine. I know, been there done that and there’s about 7 dozen tutorials for hooded bath towels out there but I haven’t seen my way yet so it won’t kill anyone if I add mine to the list. Make that 7 dozen… Plus 1. Here goes-

00tut18

Supplies:

1 Cute Bath towel

1 Hand towel about 16” x 26”. You’ll get 2 hoods from 1 towel.

1 5” x 17” strip of fun fabric

17” long piece of ric rac. I used jumbo but smaller would work just as well. Not the micro stuff though.

.

.

00tut1600tut15

First cut the hand towel in half and zig zag the raw edges. This is your hood. You only need 1 half for 1 towel so save the other half to make another later. Fold the finished edge up and pin 4” from the bottom. Sew along the finished edge where you pinned just to tack it down.

00tut1400tut13

Pin your ric rack so it’s just slightly overlapping the bottom folded edge. Sew the ric rac down. I like to sew it with the ric rac on the underside so I can make sure the ric rac stays peeking out over the towel edge and doesn’t shift.

00tut1200tut11

Fold the edges of your fabric strip under 1/4” on each long side and press. Place your fabric strip on top of the ric rac covering your stitches on the ric rac along the bottom and covering the ribbing along the top. Pin and stitch close to the edges. Your folded edge should be completely covered in fabric.

00tut1000tut9

Fold your hood in half matching the ric rac edge and the raw edges right sides together and pin, then sew the raw edge closed. Go over the raw edge a few times with a zag zag stitch so it stays nice and secure after it’s washed a million times. Your hood should look like the second picture now. Set that aside and grab your cute big bath towel.

00tut800tut7

Fold your towel in half wrong sides together, just like your hand towel, but don’t cut. Measure 4” from the fold line and put a pin at the 4” mark. Open your towel back up with the pin still in place, this will be your pleat. Match the middle of the pleat to the middle of your pin and flatten it down, then pin some more. Sew along the top edge of your pleat.

00tut6

Flip your towel so the wrong side is facing you and the pleat is facing your table and grab your hood. Match the middle seam of the hood to the middle seam of your pleat and pin the hood to the inside of the towel about 1/2” down or so.

00tut500tut4

Sew the hood to the towel using a pretty wide zig zag stitch from the inside of the hood. Flip your towel back to the right side and zig zag along the ribbed edge of the towel on the outside edge. Make sure to really secure the beginning and ending stitches so the hood stays put after it’s been used a bunch.

00tut3

You’re done! Or are you?

Adding a couple appliqués to the sides would be really cute…

00tut200tut1

Grab a coordinating design fabric and iron on some wonder under to the wrong side. Cut out a couple flowers (or whatever) leaving a tiny 1/8” edge all around the design. Peel off the paper, center your design where you want it, and iron that puppy down. It would look just as cute layering a few different designs as well. Just play with it.

Using an appliqué stitch, stitch around your home made appliqué.

00hood1

Add a cute pair of matching newborn jammies with a ruffly bum and a rubber ducky and you have the worlds cutest Bed and Bath set to give away. Or keep it because you totally should unless you’re having a boy. In which case get cracking with that second half of your hand towel, it’s only midnight!

I made the p.j. pants using this pattern from From an Igloo. Tiny!

Have a fantastic night!!

7 comments:

  1. Very cute - love the flower on the side of the hood. This is the way I make mine too - I think the handtowel just gives a more stable hood than washcloths, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tutorial. Great pictures, and it's very clear. I've seen some where the hood directions aren't very clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way cute! I want to try one of those for the next baby gift I need to give out. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love it. I made hooded bath towels for my baby and I used the bias tape method. What A pain! Whats worse it she's 9 months now and the towel seems like it is getting small. I can't wait to try your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pants! :)

    Christine
    From An Igloo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I have made two now and they have turned out so cute! What a great gift idea too. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished a set for my twin grandaughter and grandson. I have done the washcloth ones done a corner of the towel for ablout 20 years. Have some that still have them in the closet! But these are way cuter and can be used alot longer. My only suggestion would be to finish the short edge of fabric, at least sew to towel before it is attached to the hood so it is a cleaner finished product. Thanks for the great instructions.

    ReplyDelete