Friday, September 10, 2010

Done and done.

00bag1

Let me preface this post by saying that I’ve never made a bag before. Little girl purses yes. Bags for an adult to tote no. I really really wanted to make my own diaper bag but I couldn’t find a pattern or bag that didn’t look like a diaper bag, that I could make. I’m very limited in my bag making skills. So I searched out a bag that I liked the shape of and didn’t scream diaper rash cream to me. The pattern for it is in Sew Hip Magazine #18. Since I’m out in the boonies and couldn’t get the magazine anywhere I found an online site I could buy the digital copy from and was able to print the pattern from home.

*Edited to add magazine link. It's from YUDU and I've never used this site before until now so I don't know much about it, so be careful if you choose to. It was 3.99 GPB through paypal and I just bought the single issue here, not the subscription. You can view most of the issue for free before buying it.*

Did you know that you can cut old 12”scrapbook paper down to 8 1/2 x 12” to print European A4 patterns? It was the only thing I could think of to use that didn’t involve driving to town or using an obscene amount of tape. Tape is scarce in our house. Like candy and cupcakes scarce.

100_8608

The pattern is awesome, the bag is super cute, and the instructions were clear after I converted the measurements into Oregonese. The only thing that bugs me is that the sides look taller on her bag but I did leave the height of the bag alone and my sides are shorter, not a fan of the shorter. I give the pattern and the style 4 stars as is. I modified it a bit though and surprisingly I like it even though I didn’t know what the heck I was doing. I added some things, took out a bunch of things, and made it an 1” wider so I could add another pocket to the inside. I also sprayed the crud out of it with a waterproof sealer so the fabric would stay pretty later.

If I could go back in time and do it again I wish I would have had half the brain to look at it and know that it doesn’t close all the way (duh!). I wish I would have remembered that that would bother me and always has. Oh well.

We have some bonding to do before I take it anywhere since I’m not sure I’m in love with it yet (the openness) and all it’s imperfections from my bad bag sewing skills but all in all it will do what I need it to do- haul diapers and supplies for my smallest minion. Or a bowling ball. Or a small poodle named Precious with a gold digger dress on. Doesn’t it kind of look like a dog carrier from the outside? But that’s exactly why I like it. What is she carrying?

Baby project #2 Done. Hip hip!

10 comments:

  1. Twenty-five plus years ago I made my diaper bags, too, but they looked like "baby bags" and eventually were taken over by doll-wagging toddlers. And would you believe they still possess those bags?! "How could I part with that, Mom? It's precious to me." Peeking inside your handmade diaper bag, mmm! I can smell the baby lotion. Precious! Good job, Mama. It's a.DOR.able!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too made a diaper bag....32 years ago! And it looked like I could carry the kitchen sink in it! I also knew where all my imperfections were and they drove me nuts!! I still have that bag...tucked in my hope chest!
    Your bag is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!!! Where did you find to purchase the digital copies? Google isn't helping me :)

    Love your blog!

    KayTillman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the brown with the blue pop garden! You're stylin' girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I prefer non-baby type diaper bags, too. I would use yours in a heartbeat. Maybe the fact that it doesn't close all the way will come in handy...easier to slip things back in one handed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed. You should tote that thing around. You worked hard. It looks awesome, and you made it. WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! ALOT! I want to make it. Can you tell me where to find the digital download? My google-fu skillz have failed me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! Not finding the link for it either. Would love to make this for our new baby.

    ReplyDelete