Sunday, September 26, 2010

1+1+1+1+1+.5= Full?

I love my kiddos very very much.  That said, does anyone really want to take 5 kids to the store?  No, I can tell you right now unless you are planning on only shopping for 13 seconds and don’t mind coming out spending way more than you planned- you do not. With Cody’s work schedule being what it is if I want to leave my house for anything at any given time I have 5 little tagalongs that are coming with me or I stay home.  I stay home a lot.

00kfit

I love my kids (did I say that already) even the screamers.  It’s the comments I get when I show my brood off in public, especially when I have a belly the size of a watermelon so it’s obvious that I don’t intend on stopping at the 5 I have.  I know the comments are mostly well intentioned but I feel I don’t get to share my side of the story.  That’s what my blog started out as and I haven’t done it in awhile so here goes. 

Are my hands full?

00ktub

Sure. 

Am I busy?  Every. single. second. of every. single. day. 

Wow?  Yep, wow.  

Do I know what causes that?  I’m pretty sure by now I do ;). 

Would I have it any other way?

00kennedy

Nope! 

I got asked no less than a dozen times yesterday about our family size.  I’m usually used to it but I usually only get asked once or twice a trip.  Yesterday was a bit much.  I know 5 plus kids is the right size family for us right now.  Do I think any less of those with less or more kids?  Not one single bit.  In fact I know a few of mine that were for sale at one point during our trip.  Really though, what’s full for some is half empty for others and that’s okay!  I won’t force you to take my full if you don’t force me to take half empty okay?  Oh, and let me pick out apples in peace.

Excuse me while I run along to go squeeze some kids, kiss some cheeks, and release one from time out.  I’ve never been more grateful in my entire life to be so “full”.

Have a fantastic Sunday!

20 comments:

  1. great post! I too get asked about our family size and I only have 2 so far with one on the way. People are always asking me if I am going to stop at 3. I always say I don't know...I look up to you for taking on the task of hauling all 5 to the store though that is a chore in itself with 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got four myself and my brother had six. They all bring something different to the mix and even when they make us nuts, they are a blessing.

    Four is ALOT for where I live so I get the "How do you do it?" question a bit.

    My most memorable moment was while Krogering (for the best of everything). My two oldest have red hair and the two youngest have brown hair. There's also a 12 year span in ages. A lady stopped me and said how beautiful my kids were, then took another look and said, "Are they all yours?" I have begun joking that my husband is so cheap, he had to have a second family with the same wife. Let me tell you, it's not easy being the old shoe AND the trophy wife! :))))

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family are the odd ones out, with 2 kidlets...we moved last year to a different part of the outback and I don't think i'v met a family with less then 4 or 5 kidlets...If wish I could have had more but can't due to an illness...I luv when you talk about your kidlets....people need to count their little blessings as you do....before they know it the little kidets will be adlets and gone....I ask 9yld boy kidlet 'will you still hug me when your 16'...he says 'Mum I'll be hugging you when I'm 22.
    cheers NIC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try very hard not to take my 5 to the store and when I do, I always promise my self I'll never do it again! They're usually pretty good when we're out though ,so I can't complain too much :) My youngest is 2 yrs old and I still get the "are you having anymore?" question-I try to be nice but I really want to say none of your business alot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad that nowadays people are so used to seeing and having small families...whereas when our parents and grandparents were young, it was much more common to have a big family. We should not have to feel weird for having big families. I grew up in a family of six and I knew that someday I wanted a big family (if the Lord agreed with me!)...and I'm blessed with 4 and I know there is one more. I love my big family and I actually smile at others moms at stores when I see their big families...and I even smile at the mom who has kids throwing tantrums...because whether you have one or 10 kids, tantrums happen. I actually feel sorry for other people when I see them shake their heads at my kids when they are being a little naughty...because the tantrum stages will be gone before we know it and all of a sudden we'll have a bunch of beautiful, intelligent young adults as our legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a mother of 3 active boys, I was dreading what some of the moms at school would say when they learned there was a 4th on the way. My husband and I have always agreed on having 4, and lately I've been thinking I might even want 5. Most families around here have 2 kids, 3 is considered BIG. I have to confess that I feel sad when hear my older boys' friends ask their moms if they can have a new baby at their house, when the answer is an obvious no.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a great post. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did a post about his very thing just a few months ago, only yours was nicer.

    over 20 people said to me, "You have your hands full." AHH!!

    I totally agree with you. Somethings are better left unsaid.

    I like how you said that we don't judge smaller families.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have nothing really productive or insightful to say. I just like this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I SO love this post. Unfortunately I don't have children, would have loved it but alas :( I also don't understand when people comment about the size etc. NONE of their business!! I had 2 brothers, one passed away the other lives abroad. NO family left here in my country, so......be happy with your 5 and 6th on the way ♥♥

    Hugs from marian from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  11. We took our 4 kids accross country last year for a wedding ~ and if you ever want to be OVERWHELMED by the "wow, you're busy!" and "are they ALL yours?" comments, just go to a major metrolpolitan airport full of business people ~ I've never seen so many jaws drop and gotten so many comments in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kids are the best. I like the Imogene story. :) You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter is an only child and I get comments about how I should 'give' her a sibling, how only children are spoiled, and asked when I'm going to have another kid. I find the comments rude, offensive, and personal. I would never dream of commenting on someones familiy size, large or small. Those comments can be so hurtful. What if you can't have more children or it would be risky health wise? Children are a blessing, what's the problem if a family decides they want 10 plus blessings? Family size is a personal choice and I wish people would stop judging one another. As long as you can provide a safe, loving home, have as many children as you choose. Good for you in being proud of your many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks! It's nice to know I'm not alone, and you guys crack me up. I feel so much better.

    Jen- I completely agree! I have a sister with only one child and she is completely smitten with the one she has. I know she hears "when are you going to have another?" a lot and she finds it just as rude as I find the other comments. I think she's a fantastic mom- one kid or a dozen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great perspective you have. Our family has had many more kind comments than unkind, which I have been quite thankful for. I hope that doesn't change when we become pregnant with #7.

    As for never going anywhere without kids...that's definitely me, but for the most part, I have found that my children are better behaved outside the house than within. It is also a blessing that my older girls (10 and 9) are so helpful to me.

    P.S. A great asset to me when we go out is to carry my littlest in a carrier. I've found that he's much less fussy that way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the post, very true. I have 4 kids and also get that coment that my hands are full....I should stop having kids, 4 is a good number....or, How do you do it? But it is ok, I got the best advise from my wise causin: Take the advise, listen, smile, say thank you and when you turn aroun do whatever you want and what is best for you and your family. I might have another baby I might not only our Father in Heaven knows. ( I do get the coment that my kids are beautiful and should have a dozen some times too, love that one).

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I get the, 'Do you know what causes that?" question I have started to answer, "Yes and we obviously like it."

    It seems to do the trick if a smile and nod isn't going to be enough.

    We have four girls and for some reason every time I'm pregnant people ask, "So are you trying for your boy?" (I didn't know we had an allotment!) I just tell them that we were trying for a *baby* and move on.

    For the record, I was an only child and I don't consider myself spoiled at all. What works for some parents does not work for others.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so blessed! I was 4th of 6 kids & I survived. While we are stopping at 3, I totally respect & admire bigger families. I try to show my respect for those with bigger families when I meet them - I sure hope that I do not come off offensively. I am usually surprised & say, "I give you a lot of credit." Or, "How do you keep up? I feel overwhelmed with 3!" But I am always amazed at the blessings all children bring to their families.

    God has a plan for everyone.
    You guys totally rock!

    ReplyDelete
  19. THANK YOU for that wonderful post! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! After i had my third i swear i was told 37 times a day that my hands were full. I debated taking them literally and, when i wasn't carrying anyone, looking down wt my empty arms, and then saying, confused, "um, no, what do you mean??" but i just get aggravated easily. Now we have a foster child which means 4 kids 5 and under and people look at me like i'm nuts. Oh, and I'm pregnant but not showing yet so that ought be interesting. Anyway, helps to know others are mercilessly accosted by well-intentioned old people just like we are :). Good luck with #6! P.s. I believe we share religious beliefs :). Oh and thanks for your rolled flower tutorial! That's that's how i found you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome post!! Every child so be so blessed!

    ReplyDelete