So I finally took pictures of Ashlyn’s baptism dress. I’ve been waiting for good weather but I couldn’t hack it anymore. The rain is still here so I just went for it so they’re a little dark but you get the idea. Ashlyn requested a split down the middle with green accents and I wanted unicorn hair fabric and scallops so mash those together and you get this-
I used Simplicity 4647 for the bodice but I cut a new neckline and used my own pattern for the sleeves so really I just need the armscye and zipper placement. Zippers are one of Satan’s creations so I usually cheat and use a pattern as a base when I want to do a zipper. I can’t recommend this pattern, I didn’t follow it or look at anything but the zipper insertion and the armscyes but it was helpful for that ;). I did my own thing from the waist down and used a mixing bowl for the scallops. The sash is completely removable (in the pattern it’s not in case you’re wondering) so we can mix it up and make different colored ones if we want to.
*Here’s where I add a bit of a side note about commercial patterns.*
I can’t tell you enough how important it is for ones sanity to keep sewing until you feel comfortable not following a pattern anymore. I thought I would take the easy route and just follow a pattern this time to save time. I haven’t opened my pattern tote for at least a year or two and had to find it, but after reading the instructions and looking at the pieces it was going to be so much harder than just measuring her and cutting rectangles. This dress took me 2 days to finish and if I had to be chained to that stinking pattern for the entire dress it would have taken me a week.
It’s so freeing to one day realize you don’t need the instructions and further more they go about it the hard way. It took me 7 years to be pattern free and will probably take another 7 to get the arm’s and zippers straight by myself but I’ll get there.
If you want to know my go to pattern when I need a sleeve or something it’s Butterick 3707. It’s out of print (as are all my patterns!) but I use the bodice over and over again to make shirts, dress bodices, and I love the sleeves. It makes a nice surplice top and is crossed just right so it’s not bagging out or too low cut. It is short so I usually lengthen the bottom hem if I’m making the top as is. I used the sleeve pattern to make this dress a few years ago and made the entire outfit as is for Christmas dresses to.
Any patterns you can’t live without or are you completely on your own?
I'm still quite new, so I don't have favorite patterns just yet. In fact, the only one I've used twice is the Lily top from Pink Fig. So far I've had better luck with tutorials, really (that Lily top turned out well, but my machine won't do elastic thread in the bobbin, so the shirring is a giant pain in the tushie). I'm certainly not up to making my own patterns yet! (although, for my very first project, my mom helped me size down your knot dress to fit my daughter and we added a bottom ruffle and an apron, but I couldn't have done it without her help).
ReplyDeleteI am a quilter that would rather sew, but I'm so impatient! I just made scrubs for my daughter (check latest blog post) but needed help. Pattern-free sewing...YIKES!!!
ReplyDeletehello? i'm trying to leave comments but it won't let me!
ReplyDeleteon that note: love the dress!
uh....no pattern? that is so out of my realm, i can't even express it enough. I totally admire you free flyers, though.
ReplyDeleteThe dress is gorgeous and i LOVE the big green bow. What kind of material is that the bow is so stiff?? or at least the drape is great!
So fantastic!!! I love it!
ReplyDeleteI need to get back to sewing. . .and learning to be free of patterns. I'm such a newbie to sewing really. . . but I need to get back to it. Who needs to sleep or eat or bathe? yeah, okay, maybe I do. ..
ReplyDeleteOh my such a beautiful dress!! It takes me back to the days when my mother would sew lovelies and it made me feel like a princess (: I love to sew, but no clothing. Don't know why...just seem to focus on the decor aspect. And I do it all by hand. Mom thinks I'm crazy, but the sewing machine doesn't like me. It may take longer, but it's less frustrating (:
ReplyDeleteI have only used a pattern once. It took SOOOO much longer than just measuring the kid and chopping up the fabric. Like you said...they're good for the hard stuff but otherwise just take more time.
ReplyDeleteHi there, I just wanted to let you know that I really love your blog and that I have nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award! You can go to my blog for the info on it. www.madmomma07.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteLove that dress!! You did a great job!
Just Beautiful!!!
ReplyDeleteSeriously Impressive! Love the green sash!
ReplyDelete