Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Little monsters!

I love my sewing machine. I feel the same way about my sewing machine as a teenage boy feels about his first car. It’s not the most expensive model (by a long shot) but at the time I got it, it was a big deal to me. It broke down only one time in the last 8 years and that’s because I never oiled it and it needed a lube job- easy fix. I’ve loved it, I’ve abused it, and I’ve epoxied the crud out of it after knocking the stinking thread holder off a million times and it’s still kicking. We’ve bonded, Singer and I, and I get a little protective of my machine. Especially when the littles are eyeballing it and it’s major sewing season. I know what they can do, I know what I did to my mom’s machine, so it’s a lose a limb if you touch it kind of thing for now.

Well earlier this week I broke the thread spool holder thingy off again so that meant more epoxy and an over night break for the poor thing. I was in the middle of a project so I fixed it up and was planning on pulling it out first thing to start back up again in the morning. When the epoxy was dry I found this-

00littlemonsters

Some little gremlin twisted the threads around the presser foot and then practiced tying their knots in the back. Oh lovely, but I cut the threads and was back in business. Or so I thought until I noticed that I missed one crucial little problem as the result of the knot tying-

00bigmonster

It bent my needle so when I went to sew it caught in the presser foot funny and the middle section came flying at my retinas. For one split second I saw it coming and thought “this is probably going to hurt” as I just sat there. Luckily I’m a bit too tall for eye poking and it jabbed the side of my nose instead. I’m lucky I’m not blind.

The kids probably wish the needle did succeed in ruining my vision so I wouldn’t be able to see the perp who messed with my machine! I had no time to look for the little criminals (and I feared for their safety should I find them) so I just changed the needle, found my pliers to remove what was left of the old one from my foot, and chanted “You love her, you love her, you love her, you love her” Mater style until this was finished-

I made one of the suspects model for me even though she didn’t want to because “Mommm…. it’s not pink- yuck!” to which I replied “That’s alright sweet pea, it’s not for you”. Not now anyway.

You love her, you love her, you love her, you love her.

And the truth is I do. I even love that she doesn’t like the orange so I can give it to Ashlyn and have an excuse to make another… as if I needed an excuse ;).

We’re leaving tomorrow so I can go mess with my mom’s machine. I’ll be back Monday stuffed and 10 pounds heavier so until then-

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

11 comments:

  1. I hate it when my machine doesn't cooperate. Or my kids mess with it. My old machine had tension issues (oh wait, my new machine does too) and I would want to wring a little one's neck when the tension was messed with by little hands.
    Love the apron dress by the way!! A pattern or made up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oiy! this is bringing back bad memories of when I found grape Pop Otter juice on my gingher scissors....when some child decided to cut open their frozen treat with MY PRECIOUS NEVER TO BE USED EXCEPT FOR FABRIC, scissors.

    I'm over it. it's a memory and I've moved on. I'm SO very impressed with your forgiveness. Good for you. I'm thinking of making a new saying, "children spell love B-E-A-T-I-N-G"

    That apron is so cute!!! Was there a pattern name? did you make it up?? how about a delightful plus size lady size??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I broke two needles on my sewing machine last week. I'm always afraid of them going into my eyes, even though I wear glasses. One time a seam ripper broke and it flew towards my eye. I don't remember where it landed, but it didn't poke my eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Apron! I made your cupcake purse last week it came out so cute! I can't wait for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi briget,
    Thanx for your comment on my sweater skirt. love your newest creation! What pattern did you use, because I love it!!!!Also lve the fabric choise!
    happy thanksgiving!

    love Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really glad you're not blind...I bet your blogging would go downhill if you were. I love your apron!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the laugh and for being so real about the 10 pounds. Afraid I'll join you on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ♥ When everyone was at our house for the twins blessing Emma and her cousins dropped my new at the time sewing machine on the ground and then put it back so a couple weeks later when I went to sew I found what they'd left me! I was so ticked! I was not chanting nice things that's for sure... I'm glad it wasn't anything major though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Learning to type on a braille typewriter would probably take away from your ability to blog as often. No bueno. :) I'm glad you moved on...but I'm interested to know who the "perp" was. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that style of apron - it's darling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! Need goggles for sewing? I'm diggin' this blouse. I need to make one for me...seriously. Maybe if I get my act together or stop being so busy, I'll make it and report back ;)

    ReplyDelete