Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My mother’s curse

My mom always told each one of us that she hoped we had a child just like us some day.  Usually on those days that we were being 16 and snotty.  To be honest I always thought I really would have a child just like me.  I pictured my first son to be Cody’s clone and my first daughter to have really dark half curly hair and brown eyes. To be a little sarcastic and o.c.d and to have a really stubborn streak.  Of course she would love to draw and sew and ooh and ah over everything miniature ever made.

Each and every one of my kids has a trait from each of us but I was shocked to find out that not a single one would be a clone of either of us or that they would be so balanced.  I was shocked to see that they wouldn’t like all the things we like.  Sounds dumb to admit it now but they really are their own little persons.  When Ashlyn came out blue eyed and blond and completely calm I wondered who’s baby they gave me. 

Mine.

I caught her showing Mary her “sketch” book while they were supposed to be cleaning their room and telling her she wanted a sewing machine from Santa this year.  I thought it was a diary and I had no idea she even cared about sewing.  She’s never shown an extended interest in anything really.  She likes nail polish and hoarding and tomorrow she’ll like grilled cheese and sparkles.  I thought.  Be still my motherly heart.  Are those dress designs?

 

00sketch

By golly they are!  I asked her if I could see them and she said she’s been working on them for a few months.  I almost teared up.

So of course I did what any good mother would do and bought this the second I found out.  Santa is a little excited.  Okay Santa is REALLY excited.

00janome

We’ll see how long it lasts but at least I know I didn’t push her to like what I like and we’re gonna have a ton of fun while the sewing bug has bitten.  I hope it’s a big bug ;).

Have a fantastic week, I won’t be back on until Monday.   One of Cody’s adorable sisters is getting married this weekend and I have to find my fanciest pregnancy tent and finish sewing up a few loose ends for the weekend.  See you Monday!

11 comments:

  1. My mom would always use that line too, when we were being bad, and I always thought "well that'd be great with me!!!" in my head when she said it. Never out loud of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that? I loved it when my daughter decided she wanted to sew! And I don't know about you, but I've claimed all my kid's "best" qualities as handed down from me! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how sweet! I love my sewing machine and can't wait for the girls to be old enough to use one too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, how stinkin cute is she?! Love her sketches- looks like you have a little mini me after all ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That will be the PERFECT machine. My mama bought one for my 4 (almost 5) year old daughter for Christmas last year. I really have no complaints about it. Love that it goes slow, not like a regular machine, but is plenty for making pillows, blankets, aprons, or anything else she dreams up to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that would be MY dream. maybe you got MY daughter.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. **squeals!**

    That is so fun! And sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing those dress designs fleshed out. They're pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is AWESOME! Sometimes they give us the BEST suprises! ...and those dress drawings-ohhh so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! You've been blessed with a child (could happen to a son, too!) whose interest appears to be designing and creating, and as a result, feeling not only proud of her accomplishments but also lovely! Whatever you do, don't let those precious pages end up in the trash. Frame them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how you feel my 5 yo started sketching dress designs too and i couldnt be happier.

    She loves going fabric shopping with me and loves to come into my sewing room and watch me sew. I couldnt be happier and i look forward to sharing my sewing tips with her..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that brings back memories. My little girl loves to draw clothing and wanted to be designer. Santa bought her a kids sewing machine because I thought it would be a great starter for cheap. Well, it turned out she within months I had to go out and get her a real machine like mine because I didn't do what mommy could. Have fun with her and hope she keeps up! My little girl is to busy being a teenager, but at least she has the skill and a great machine when she is ready again to sew.

    ReplyDelete