Ashlyn is going to be an elf in a play tomorrow and needs to dress like one. I’m fresh out of elf costumes. I don’t have a single stitch of solid red fabric left and my time is absolutely zero, not to mention I don’t want to invest precious Christmas making time on something that’s going to be worn for 10 minutes, so what’s an elf mom to do? Hit the dollar store and hope for a miracle.
I was hoping to find a table cloth or blanket to cut into a vest or something but nothing existed. I ran across an elf hat- score! With the hat in hand I was meandering around thinking there had to be something I could use when I saw it- a giant green and red stocking. Perfect! So for $2 and 5 minutes of time we have a girl elf jumper and hat.
Here’s how to make one should you ever need to-
Go to the dollar store (tree) and pick up a jumbo stocking and hat. Grab a tank top out of your summer clothes bin for a pattern.
Fold your stocking and tank top in half length wise. Put your tank top with the folded outside edge on the folded outside edge of the stocking and cut around the outside of your tank, cut some extra length at the straps- about an extra 2” long or so. If the tank doesn’t exactly fit on the stocking (too big, too small) just cut around it anyway until you cut through to the edges of the stocking, you just want a neckline and armpit holes.
I just grabbed some sticky back velcro from my stash and added it to the straps. Done and done. No need to hem it, it’s felt! I would say this fits a little girls size 7 and under.
My mom made me post this, I wasn’t going to but she said I should and one should always listen to one’s mother so there you go. She didn’t tell me to add the lame drawings. I did that part myself ;).
Have a great Wednesday!
Bridget - you are absolutely amazing! She'll be the cutest elf in the show!!
ReplyDeleteHow clever! I love this! I'm sure she'll make an adorable elf!
ReplyDeleteThe drawings aren't lame - they're cute (as is the costume). :)
ReplyDelete♥ You're awesome!!! I would have never thought of that!
ReplyDeleteabsolutely fabulous!!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's just perfect!
ReplyDeleteHow clever are you?! I love it!!
ReplyDeleteHaha! This is wonderful! My niece (3) and nephew (2) who live downstairs from us have these exact same stockings that they climb inside of and walk around in all the time. I bet this dress will be a little easier to maneuver in. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you thank you thank you!!!! I am a sparks(girl guide) leader and we needed a great & in expensive costume idea for the Santa clause parade this year- This is perfect!! We were just going to do the big boxes into presents but this is soo much better!! Thanks sooo much!!! <3
ReplyDelete