Monday, September 7, 2009

The more glamorous life of a gunnysack…

0001dpdress

Besides the pencil bag I made for Ashlyn, this is the only other project I finished at my grandma’s house for my great sewing get away. I had really lofty goals to make 3 of them- yeah right! I finished it a couple weeks ago but have been waiting for some grass to appear to take a picture. You know, I like the dirty background better. The dress kind of reminds me of the depression so the background fits. Not that I know a darn thing about the depression. I never actually made it to my history class in school… it was right after lunch and I liked long lunches. I didn’t like my history teacher either. I digress…

The fabric choices are loosely based on a MJC dress, but of course I have to do my own thing and changed it around a bunch.

0dpdress

I like to make my dresses grow with my kids to get a few years out of each one so I make the straps extra long on purpose. For this dress I made the straps extra extra long, a bit wider, and rounded on the ends. They were too long even for me so I tied them up a bit differently and I like it! I think it looks really cute this way and when she grows (if she ever does) the straps can grow with her. Actually it was a bit of a mistake because I didn’t have Ashlyn around when I was sewing and guessed her to be taller than she was. But as Bob Ross would say- a happy little mistake ;).

I better get off my duff and finish the other 8 projects I’ve started and haven’t finished. That’s Labor Day for you. Mom’s must labor, no day off here. Not that I would call crafting labor but humor me.

Have a great Monday!

5 comments:

  1. I love it! The colors/patterns compliment each other. And the braided pony tails.....an adorable finishing touch! You are so clever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the colors and patterns you pick out! I do not have an eye for making things match like you do! So cute!

    ReplyDelete