I am on a roll with blog posts this week and I’m a little proud of myself. I even plan on posting another project tomorrow. Watch out, I’m pretty hot! -name that movie. Speaking of movies have I ever mentioned that I don’t have cable/satellite/TiVo nothing like that so Nickelodeon and Disney based t.v. shows mean nothing to me or my kids. They have never heard of High School Musical, although Sesame street did one funny “Preschool Musical”, or Hannah Montana. I know you are jealous but my kids still watch Saturday cartoons so I still get asked to buy moon sand and ginsu knives.
I get so enraged that the only store within 2 hours distance from my house carries 95% screen printed characters from those shows on clothing and kids stuff. I love Beauty and the Beast and the Little Mermaid, don’t get me wrong but if I have to see one more Hannah shirt that lights up I might have to hurt someone.
But… and it’s a big but, Ashlyn is drawn to those items like a moth to a flame. They glitter, they shine, her friends have them, and they are all over the place. We went shopping a while back and she found a backpack she loved. It’s purple and satiny and has a guitar and birds on it. I thought it was pretty cute too and it was on sale for really cheap, until I saw her. Uhhhgg! Again, nothing against those shows I just have no idea what they are about and neither does Ashlyn so I don’t understand why she wants them so badly.
So we compromised and turned this-![]()
Into this-
Viola`. Shiny- check, glitter- check, and her friends will probably have one too, just not the exact same. That makes her happy and it makes me happy too. So very happy. And nothing against Miss Montana, she’s just a lot more secret now ;).
.
Love it!! I can't stand the character stuff either-great idea to just cover the unwanted part up!!
ReplyDeleteIck to character stuff. So great how you covered it!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE it!!!! I HATE "generic" stuff!! After all, isn't 'variety the spice of life'? Why does everyone want to be the same? UGH!!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, GREAT job!! Awesome!!
What a great idea! I have the same problem... Dinsey princess on EVERthing? no thanks. I will have to try this.
ReplyDeleteFabulous job covering up the unwanted part. I really don't like the character promoting products either.
ReplyDeleteLove it!!! What a great compromise.
ReplyDeleteHave you thought about writing her name on the bit below "secret star"? I did something similar to a princess backpack and my daughter (and her friends) thought that it was cool that the backpack said "Princess Julia"
ReplyDeleteLOVE it!!! I thought we were the only ones left in the world w/out tivo, cable or satalite. Glad to know there are others out there like us LOL
ReplyDeleteMy kids are always watching Qubo and selling the infomercials to us, it's hillarious!!!
great job on the bag BTW
♥ that's the same exact one that Eliza has... I just wished I'd have been as cleaver as you in disguising it! Maybe I'll still have to "up grade" it... I'm not a huge Hannah montana fan either but I think it cost me 2 bucks for somehting so I couldn't pass it up!
ReplyDeleteyou. you. you.
ReplyDeletelook at you.
YOU'RE a secret Rockstar, you.
Super cool, brainiac idea. you.
I don't have cable, satelitte... nothing. I really have nothing now that it's all gone digital. I refuse to buy a converter box. So I'm enjoying the sound of NOTHING. Except my dvd picks. :)
What I've seen of Hannah Montana, I like. But I haven't had to see it a million times yet either.
you are super mom!
ReplyDeleteWe don't have any kind of TV except to watch DVD's. I have Backyardigans and Veggie Tales Jonah memorized because my almost two year old is a repeat offender. That is a great idea to cover up an aspect you don't like on something that overall you do like. (Especially if it is on sale:))
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome idea! Yea... my daughter's the same way and we don't let her watch that sort of stuff either.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE how you "de-commercialized" the bag! Thanks for the great idea, I'll be using it with the stuff my 6 year old is lured to. When my daughter was younger I spent an entire year trying to find play food that didn't have a corporate name on it. (sorry, I don't think a 3 year old needs to be learning so early about Hamburger helper... just plain old plastic carrots and cob corn will do thanks)
ReplyDeleteLove your blog!
I, too, am so tired of seeing Hannah Montana. My granddaughter is almost 7 but has no idea who Hannah is. Thank you for the great idea. I wonder if sale shirts could have an applique square stitched over an unwanted screen print?
ReplyDeleteGreat compromise! I dread the days my kids are drawn to these sorts of things. We're like you in the lack of cable, etc. department, and I love it! Now I know I can recreate things if I ever have to. Who need HM or any of the others on everything anyways? Your daughters bag is super cute.
ReplyDeleteGreat job!! I don't think I can ever allow my little girl to wear anything that has someone else's face on it. Seriously, I think Hannah Montana might really just be an alien trying to take over the world.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on making the side bag cool again!
hola amiga
ReplyDeletehermosa tu mu7ñeca,,tambien las hago,,mandame tu email te mando moldes
besos margot