While I was getting away this past weekend I thought it would be fun to make some pencil cases for the kids for school.
So I printed out my instructions found *here*, picked out my fabric, and away I went. The instructions are clear, great, fabulous, and it makes a really cute little bag. I resized it (cut each piece 8 x 11”) and all in all it turned out pretty darn cute but a little hard to open and barely big enough for pencils. Plus I thought I could improve on the original and make the inside marker proof with some iron on vinyl and add some tabs for easier opening.
But my vinyl was at home and I was at grandma’s so I thought I would wait to do the rest until I was home and in my sewing comfort zone. Things just work better for me when I’m on my own turf with my supplies on hand.
Then I realized that one shouldn’t craft while under the influence of cold medication. If you can’t breathe you shouldn’t craft. Yes, I caught another disease this weekend. I’m a human petri dish!
Ahhh! Shield your eyes!
So it doesn’t appear that bad? That my friends is what great fabric will do for you, make even the most hideous of projects look okay. But if this little Quasimodo could talk it would tell you that one side is bigger than the other, the outside is crunchy and melted, I forgot to line it even though the fabric was staring at me not 3 inches away, and the tabs are too long and wonky. I’m also pretty sure the zipper isn’t lined up but at this point I don’t care.
I couldn’t let that little thing represent my latest craft project so I buckled down and made 2 more. Bad projects happen to the best of us but you just have to soldier on, or bag it and eat some white cheddar popcorn.
I’m off to chow down the rest of my popcorn, have a great Tuesday!
I love them! I use to make my boys their school backpacks..ions ago...but found it cheaper to buy water proof ,plastic one's than to constantly check my handiwork for holes and stains!! Too much stress on all of us! :) I still make backpacks, but purses instead... and just girly patterns for my daughter and nieces...they love them and it's easier on my nerves ...they don't throw them around! I need to try making these!
ReplyDeleteI think they are way cute!
ReplyDeleteFunny that I was going to make something JUST LIKE THIS for my daughter. She's just started to colour and I figure something fun to hold her pencil crayons would be tons of fun! Yours turned out super cute, I love that poodle fabric. And I like the idea of the tabs on them. I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm creating!
ReplyDeleteVery cute! I have a hard time with the learning process. I want to be perfect the first time. Doesn't happen very often. Hope you feel better!
ReplyDeleteThose are really cute.
ReplyDelete♥ Those are very cute! :)
ReplyDeleteCute and funny..... I like them, they give me a smile.
ReplyDeleteRITA
Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step