Friday, December 5, 2008

Getting Merry

I'm not into Christmas decorations like most people, I'm a bit Grinchy about it. It's not that I don't like Christmas, I just don't like moving my regular stuff around just to put it back in a few weeks. I'm lazy and a bit OCD and when my decorations find a home they stay there all year every year. In fact if I could get away with just stringing a tree with chocolate candy on Christmas Eve and call it good I would. I would eat all the decorations Christmas eve and then put the tree away- sounds good to me!

When you have kids though they sort of expect their mom to actually decorate. I know it's already the 5th and I don't have a single decoration found yet so I thought to help me get in the mood we'd start a little seasonal fun today and decorate tomorrow. My Aunt emailed me the funnest link for all things Christmas last year and my kids absolutely loved it! It's called Northpole.com and it's ad free and kid friendly- love that. They can send an email to Santa and get a reply, make personalized Christmas books, print out fun educational worksheets, find fun recipes, even track Santa on Christmas Eve. If you've been there before then you know how fun it is for the kids. I've printed off enough fun things today that I'm sure to be humming "Deck the halls" in no time.

As soon as I wash a few big bowls (I've been making divinity, bread, and chocolate chip cookies) we're going to make Sparkly Peppermint Playdough and Gingerbread Playdough. I haven't tried the recipes out yet so I'll let you know how they turn out.

I'm not going to win awards for being the mom with the cutest Christmas house for December but my kids will have a blast while I procrastinate decorating. I think that sort of redeems me ;o).

Have a great weekend!!

5 comments:

  1. What your cooking instead of decorating!!?! Blasphamy!! Come on get out your 4 christmas decorations and get with the Holiday spirit! ;) just kidding.... Crafting tonight right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I JUST started to decorate the inside of the house. I hear ya though! Once I get my usual stuff in the right spots I really hate rearranging. Plus, the dust shows up if you move stuff. . .who wants that? I digress. The outside lights have been up since we had decent weather - which in Wisconsin is October. Now for the other stuff. .. well, tomorrow anyway. We're waiting until next Sunday to get our tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am worse. We put our fake tree up and it already has lights on it, so we just plug it in. no decorations on it. hehe. I suppose we will one day before christmas put something on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kids won't remember the decorations but they will remember time spent with them

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids love the transformation!!
    I remember feeling the same way when I was a kid.
    I remember the decorations and the snowmen mugs and mama pitcher! Sometimes the decorations help add to the memories! At least thats what I tell myself as i add to the crazy christmas crap!
    I love to decorate for the holdays for the main reason-all my stuff is new again.
    I pull it out and say-"oh I so love this!"
    Plus-we all need a little something something in the dreary month of January!!!
    Just come to my blog on the 15th-and you will get your fill of christmas decor!! Promise

    ReplyDelete